Thursday 25 August 2011

Bakings and queens


Oh, (pause for dramatic effect) the comforts of baking.

Seriously, there are few things more comforting than knowing that if you take some eggs, butter, flour, sugar and other cakey ingredients, combine them and stick 'em in a hot oven that good things will happen.
Unless you are a bad baker.

I used to be a bad baker.
Just ask my Mom.
She will tell you several stories about the humble efforts that I made in my food technology class at school that only ever yielded very poor and unsatitisfying results.
I would always proudly present my creations to her and force her to try them.
Normally, we both ended up disappointed.
Think encouraging 'mmmm' sounds at first and then pretend choking.
Don't think badly of her though.

Just like the time I cried because I couldn't reverse the car onto the drive 
(unfortunately that is as pathetic as it sounds) 
and with little sympathy she told me to stop being ridiculous and just do it., 
she taught me that if I do hard things, 
they'll eventually become easy to me.

Case and point.
Observe.

Raspberry cupcakes with vanilla icing.

Shortbread & brownie cupcakes.

And most recently, bread.
But I don't have any pictures of that, because I was too eager to eat it while it was still hot and demolished nearly half the loaf as soon as it came out of the oven.

Anyway, my baking efforts are significantly more successful in recent years.
And more gratefully received by all who have eaten them I might add. 
The next batch of cupcakes are for you Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment