Monday 24 October 2011

This is my mantra

I wrote this post sometime during the last academic year.
The amount of work that I had and things that I had to make time for when I wrote this was so, so much less than the amount of stuff that I have to do now.
It's kind of funny in the least funny way actually.
Anyway, with a to do list as long as my arm that only keeps on growing, rather than neglect this here blog, I decided to do a little bit of recycling.
So, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, 'repeat as often as necessary'.
Enjoy.






More and more often I keep having to take a deep breath and tell myself this. Inhale. Keep calm and just graduate. Exhale. Keep calm and just graduate. Inhale. Keep calm and just graduate. Exhale. Sometimes it helps. But most of the time school work gets very overwhelming very fast. Mostly because it's just nonstop. Day after day after day after day after day. Maybe it would be a bit of a help if I used more than just five days of the week to do school work. But having no weekend would make me crabby. Crabby and insane. And I don't think that Ross would like that very much. 

So I just have to take a deep breath, say a quick prayer and get on with it. Turn on my laptop (and exert seriously mental effort not to quickly log onto facebook), get out my lecture notes, get out my books and just get my head down and work. Either that or face hours of procrastination, looking for something, anything to distract me from doing my work. I've got really good at that. I would almost consider it to be a talent. I wonder if there's a career in procrastination? And if not a career, at least a first class degree?

Sometimes I just need to get a bit o' perspective. This time next year I'll be close to finishing my degree. My days as a student are numbered. This time next year. I'll be freaking out about stepping out into the big, wide world and I'll be applying for jobs in my very first teaching post. (In all seriousness, who will take me seriously?! I have nightmares of going to interviews and being laughed out of the school for being too young and having delusions of being an adult.) This time next year I'll be close to having a proper job. Nay a career! (And I'll be rejoicing in the salary!)

But until then, I'll just keep calm and graduate. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been having such a terrible week feeling buried in school work and it's nice to know I'm not alone out there!  But congrats on your soon to be graduating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you are so not alone!! And thank you :)

    ReplyDelete