Tuesday 5 April 2011

Sympathy sickness

Yesterday morning, when Ross woke up for work and I got up for university, straight away he said that he didn't feel very well. Normally I don't take all that much notice of his bodily complaints, mainly because I think that he exaggerates a lot, but yesterday morning he had a headache, his joints ached and his stomach was unsettled, so I thought for sure this bodily complaints were for reals. 


Next thing I know, we're in the car driving to university/work and I feel sick too. Not the kind of sick where I'm going to throw up in the next second, but sick like my stomach is really going crazy and I should probably go to the toilet. Sorry that it's gross, but it's true! It happens to all of us. 


Rather than thinking that maybe we had a 24 hour bug or had eaten something iffy, I liked to think Ross was the ill one and I had a case of sympathy sickness. You know, where you feel like your suffering from the same symptoms as someone that you love, but your not actually that sick. I think it just seems such much nicer to think that you love someone so much you subconsciously share their pain, rather than thinking that you'd both just eaten some bad Chinese. 


Turns out I was wrong though. My romanticised theory of love sickness disappeared right about the same time as my breakfast. And my lunch. From my mouth. I didn't have sympathy sickness, but for reals sickness. 


That was the first time Ross had ever seen me be sick. I felt a little bit self conscious actually. It's not the most flattering of activities is? I even asked him to leave the room while I was knelt over the toilet about to puke, because I felt like I couldn't be sick whilst he was in the room, watching me and waiting for it. As soon as he realised that I was actually vomiting though, he was there in a second, rubbing my back and getting my glasses of water. 


You'll be pleased to know there has been no more vomiting or sickness (sympathy or otherwise) today and I'm feeling much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment