Saturday 12 March 2011

Dr. Seuss

This is my friend Annie. You can see just a little bit what our friendship is like from this picture. Basically, I terrorise her. In the most loving and friendly way you can think. (Because in this picture I haven't blocked her mouth or nose, so she can still breath. Like a said, loving & friendly.) 


There are lots of reasons that I have love in my heart from Annie. But I just want to talk about one Annie instigated love today. Dr. Seuss. 


Annie introduced me to the good Dr. last year. When I say last year, I don't mean calendar year, I mean academic year. She would read me Dr. Seuss bedtime stories and do voices and everything. She read the How the Grinch Stole Christmas to me so many times that I can practically quote the last few pages in their entirety. The Roast Beast is my favourite.
"And he... ...HE HIMSELF...! The Grinch carved the roast beast!"
When it get's to that part I am practically shouting the words. The Grinch is probably my favourite Dr. Seuss book. Even when it's not Christmas. 



I have other favourite too though. Oh, the places you'll go! ("And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed! (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed)")  The Lorax, I Had Trouble Getting to Solla Sollew, Oh, The Thinks You Can Think and Too Many Daves. I know, I know, Too Many Daves is a poem. It's still allowed to be one of my favourites though. 

When I was on my teaching placement last year (English placement, not French) I even thrust and forced my love of Dr. Seuss on my class. I probably spent a little bit too much of my literacy lessons reading them Dr. Seuss stories and even got them to write their own Dr. S style poems. They loved it. And so did I. Apparently writing in the style of Dr.S is more difficult than I thought it would be though. It certainly separated the movers from the shakers anyway. What does that even mean? Is it rude? I hope not!

"You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know. 
You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go. 
So be sure when you step. 
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act. 
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot with your left." 
(Oh, the Places You'll Go)

Wise.Words.To.Live.By

No comments:

Post a Comment