Tuesday 15 March 2011

Housewifery

I dream of having a fireplace like this. 
I'm the eldest of my siblings. (Eldest or oldest? I have no clue which word I'm supposed to use here.)Either way, I'm the oldest of three. And I'm the only girl. That obviously means that I have two younger brothers. Anyway, now that we've got over stating the obvious... Being the oldest and the only girl meant that my Mom trained me up pretty good in all things domestic. Cooking, cleaning, washing, the works. Suffice it to say that by the time it came for me to move away for university I was already on the edge of Domestic Goddess status. Please don't think that I'm being big headed here, it's just the truth. When I first moved into my student house one of my housemates didn't even know how to use the washing machine. I could put on a load of washing in my sleep.


Years have passed and honestly, I am bold enough to say that I'm a Domestic Goddess now. I'd even go as far to say as that it's taken such a hold that it's instinctual. Seriously. Within the first thirty minutes of being awake today I had put away the clean & dry dishes, washed up my breakfast stuff, folded some dry washing, put a dirty load of washing in the machine, tidied the living room and organised my bag for school. I feel like I've missed something. Oh, and I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip muffins. You know, as you do. Actually, the last point is completely made up*. I only said I was domesticated, not Superwoman. 


I enjoy my wifely duties of running my home. Maybe somebody reading this will be horrified at my old school stereotype of women, but whatever. I like making sure that my home is a place where Mr.K (and me) can feel comfortable. And I like cooking him meals that he enjoys. I pretty much run the house, and I like it that way. But don't get me wrong, Momma K taught her boy well. He knows when to turn of the playstation and to step in after I've done more than my fair share. Either because he's being sweet and attentive or because I'm about to go into some kind of meltdown.


Nigella Lawson is one of my heroes. Minus the bizarre and sometimes, frankly, inappropriate noises she makes whilst she's cooking. Well, today I felt like her, positively Nigella-esque. After my Goddess stint this morning, I feel entirely qualified in saying this: Nigella Lawson, eat your heart out. I too, am a Domestic Goddess. ( I imagine that last sentence being said very dramatically and slowly. Just sayin.)


*Note, I read this to Mr.K whilst he was on his playstation and asked him to listen for mistakes. I got to the end and he said to me "where are the muffins you made this morning?" Yeah, thanks for listening. Pft.

2 comments:

  1. I so need a woodburner, wish I could afford one right now :( you are the ultimate domestic goddess my doll xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you're good. Can you share some of your domestic motivations over here to me? ;) And I couldn't help but laugh at what your husband said about the muffins. Classic.

    ReplyDelete