Sunday 20 March 2011

I already know.


Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way i ought to go from here?
Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
Alice: I don't much care where.
Cat: Then it doesn't matter much which way you go.

At church today I felt particularly inspired. There were two talks about journeys and paths in life and making decisions and reaching our goals. Someone mentioned the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland and it really got me to thinking and wondering and doing some pretty serious self evaluation and reflection. 

I decided which way I wanted to go in life long before I came to Earth. I believe that I (when I say I, I don't mean that I believe only I existed) lived before I was physically born, that there's a pre-existence. And I believe that in this pre-existance, I chose a plan. A part of this plan was coming to Earth and having experiences in a physical body that would help my spirit to learn, to progress. Another part of this plan was that if I made good choices in my life, if I respected my body and lived the way God wanted me to that one day, after I'd done all that I can I'd be able to be saved by his grace and I'd be able to return to him, my Heavenly Father. 

That means that I can't live my life like Alice did. It matters very much which paths I choose in life because I already know exactly where it is that I want to go. 

That's not to say that I don't have any freedom to choose, because I absolutely do. Having free agency is a fundamental Mormon belief. But it's the freedom to make the right choices. To choose good over bad. To choose right over wrong. To choose happiness over misery. 

I'm not perfect, I don't always get it right, and my choices aren't always the best. My perspective can sometimes get a little blurred. But I'm realistic, I'm only human. But despite that I know where I want to go and I'm going to do my outright best to make sure that I get there. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this Beady :) so sad I didn't get to so you today :( Plus our hubbys need to meet each other as they are pretty much twins- well they're the only 2 peeps I know who read the wacky Terry Pratchett books... (weirdos...)!! LOVE YOUDLES!! xxx

    ReplyDelete